Wednesday, September 2, 2009

One hundred and fifteen days may seem like a long time to the average person. After all, in America, students manage to move into dorm rooms, complete class assignments, and take finals all in 115 days. However, while I am still moving into a new home, completing challenging academic assignments, and taking finals I will also be finding my own niche in the Czech Republic. In my next 115 days, I will be soaking in Czech customs, learning about the intricacies of a Czech culture, studying the Czech language, and making new friends. This may seem like a daunting task to some, but I have already begun to take on the task with open ears and an open mind.
My first week here in in Prague has flown by. Everything here excites me from oddly shaped pastries in the bakery next door to my apartment to the way that Czech women manage to walk on cobble stone streets with high heels. In this week, I have discovered that my favorite hobby thus far is simply sitting in a cafe watching all of the people busily walk by. I am so fascinated by this place and the novelty of it all has me constantly looking around and soaking in whatever I see. However, slowly as the novelty of it all wares off, I find myself discovering the places in this city that speak most to who I am. Just minutes ago I came in from discovering a huge park just one block from my apartment where I can go on runs and people watch at the same time (two of my favorite things) and I find myself knowing that during this next 115 days I will find a great number of reasons why I was drawn to this magical city so many months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment