Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Florence Sandwich





I just got back from the adventure of a lifetime. This past weekend I got a chance to travel to Florence and Milan with five wonderful girls from my CET program. This weekend was filled with so many tastes, sounds, laughs, churches, museums, dinners, and memories that I barely know where to begin and I just finally made it home to my apartment after a day of traveling. But what I want you to picture is six girls traveling in typical college style. Think: backpacks, hostels, and public transportation. We backpacked and ate our way from Prague to Milan to Florence and back to Milan and then back to Prague all in 5 days and alone the way were welcomed by friendly Italians. One memory that stands out for me about this trip is waking up early to go to the Florence Food Market before our 9am train. When I got there a little old Italian man stood at the same cappuccino stand that I was heading too. He began to speak to me in Italian right of the bat and proceed to talk my ear off forever about his grandkids, coffee, and whatever else came to his mind. Now you must remember that I don't speak Italian so the majority of what he said went over my head. But this warm regard just stood out for me. I find it so refreshing when an older person takes time out of there day to reach across cultural barriers to speak to a young person. More stories will come about our trip later, but now I must get some sleep because I have class tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment